The University of Barcelona (UAB) is offering a free online course in English for Teaching Purposes. The aim of the course is to help university lecturers do their teaching in English, in line with university internationalization policies.
The course structure is the same for all learners and there are opportunities for them to link up with colleagues from universities all over the world who share the same discipline and discourse community, to ask questions and exchange ideas. The course will start on January 3, 2019.
Course At A Glance
Length: 4 weeks of study
Effort: 4-6 hours/week
Subject: English for Teaching Purposes
Institution: University of Barcelona and edx
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Course Starts on June 18, 2018
The University of Barcelona (UAB) is a public university located in the metropolitan area of Barcelona. International in its outlook, it is fully consolidated within its local surroundings and offers quality education in close association with research activity, the transfer of scientific, technological, cultural and educational knowledge, the promotion of its human potential and the responsible management of available resources.
About This Course
Thinking about teaching your university subject in English but it’s not the Language you normally use? Then, English for teaching purposes is the course for you. A course on English and teaching methodology that aims to help university lecturers do their teaching in English, in line with university internationalization policies.
The course structure is the same for all learners and there are opportunities for them to link up with colleagues from universities all over the world who share the same discipline and discourse community, to ask questions and exchange ideas. This MOOC targets lecturers who wish to begin using English in their teaching. A priori, this means university lecturers from countries where English is not the L1 or a widely-used language (Romance language-speaking countries, for example), though in fact the course is open to teachers from all educational stages who want to teach through English, following the principles of EMI (English Medium Instruction).
On completing the course, you should be able to do the following.
- a) Teach a university subject in English, having gained the necessary confidence and skills.
- b) Integrate all aspects of CLIL (methodological, pedagogical, strategic, attitudinal, motivational, linguistic, sociolinguistic and pragmatic) to put together their own English-medium course on their particular subject.
- c) Describe the characteristics of the university lecture discourse genre (planning, agents, channels, phases, dynamics, and current flexibility of the genre).
- d) Understand and perform the basic linguistic macro-functions within English teaching discourse.
- e) Understand and perform, using the appropriate linguistic exponents (vocabulary, structures, and phraseology), the main micro-functions in English teaching discourse: metalinguistic, informative, evaluative, inductive, and social.
- f) Consolidate their oral expression and interaction skills, and their grammar and vocabulary, at English levels C1 and C2 as defined by the Council of Europe.
Taught by: Silvia Solá Viñals , Teacher
Taught by: Jose Ygoa-Bayer, Teacher
Taught by: Ian James, Teacher
How To Join This Course
Go to the course website LINK
Create an edX account to SignUp
Choose “Register Now” to get started.
EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
Once applicant signs up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)